28 April 2008

i am not a rockandroll princess

well, here comes my second music related post. (truly, i do not see that many shows, but when i do see one/some, i have to have to have to talk about it/them.)

A and K(2) and I went to see Lord of the Yum Yum last night at Ronny's. All sorts of crazy things went down. First, a super drunk guy yelled as us as we rolled up on our bikes (something like "I'm going to kill you on your bikes!!") and moments later was snared by the cops. He was out there getting ticketed for public drunkeness for quite awhile. We headed in and I took a little detour to the potty, which was filthy, but very "green," having been decked out in flattened beer cans. Kinda neat. I eventually got a beer from a very very drunk bartender, who was simultaneously getting screamed at in Spanish by his also drunk co-bartender/lady friend (she later broke her fist... she was sobbing as we left and the door guy was calling for help). K(2) got the wrong beer, and A got a beer for $1. The opening "band" was terrible, as openers can sometimes be. Everyone in the venue (20 people) was there to see Lord of the Yum Yum.

I had never encountered this Yum Yum guy before... A saw him somewhere awhile back and was uber-stoked to be seeing him again. I had no idea what I was getting into. He turned out to be a total showman. I was hooked from the first moment. He totally worked the (tiny) crowd and then mixed (live) these amazing beats based on classical pieces. Super down to earth and totally unlike anything I've seen before. Just this gangly, beat-boxing, powder-blue suit wearing, pasty, 30-something guy preforming his ass off.

I talked to him after for about 30 seconds and it turns out he's an elementary school teacher...he teaches general music. Kids would love this shit! We kept wondering if Yum Yum is his secret side project or if he uses this stuff in the classroom. Do his students know how awesome their teacher really is?

It was hard to get any accurate photos,
particularly because Yum Yum is a perpetual motion machine, as evidenced. Definitely check this guy out live... he doesn't play often, but it's worth hunting him down.

As an aside, I really hate blogger, but have yet to find another host that I don't also hate. Who knew it would be so hard to arrange four images in a row on the left? Sorry this looks like shit. I'm bad at technology.

No comments: